LifeinLINCS usually does serious, thought-provoking, analytical posts but it’s summer, so it’s time for a little fun too. So, if you have ever wondered whether you or someone close to you might be a translator, here are some signs to look for:
You might be a translator if…
1) Your favourite comics have characters who can’t decide between electronic and paper dictionaries.
2) The nearest you get to a suntan is when you forget to turn down the brightness on one of your three computer monitors.
3) Seeing the phrase “scanned pdf” sends you running for a crucifix, a clove of garlic and overpriced OCR software
4) You actually understood number 3.
5) You write your Christmas and Valentine’s cards using CAT software.
6) Your CAT crashes and hangs more often than it purrs.
7) You have complained to your pets about your clients
8) … in three different languages
9) … in the past hour alone.
10) You are not sure whether to find Google Translation funny, annoying or insulting
11) … but you still secretly use it to get the gist of blog posts written in languages you don’t use
12) … and you will never, ever openly admit to that!
13) “Being invited to a party” means “being on an online conference call”
14) … but you still brought snacks.
15) You completed a job while still wearing your pyjamas.
16) People in your family are wondering when you will “get a proper job”.
17) Your working hours are dictated more by the routine of your children or pets than by the clock.
18) To you, misplacing a comma is a crime worthy of the death penalty.
19) The last time you left the house, someone called the police to report a possible intruder in the neighbourhood.
20) You have a masters degree and a bunch of certificates and yet you still have people asking you to work for less than your local minimum wage.